There’s something special about enjoying live music and theatre outside with the sounds of nature adding to the soundtrack! This summer, Surrey Civic Theatres presents POP! Summer Strolls (Performances Outdoors in Parks) with a variety of performances and activities for people to enjoy in the great outdoors of Glade Woodland Gardens and Darts Hill Garden Park.
Stroll through a picturesque park, and as you move about you discover pop-up performances in different locations. Each show station hosts a micro-performance that lasts approximately fifteen minutes before you stroll to the grand finale.
July 7 – 10 & 14 – 17
The Glades Woodland Garden
July’s performances take place at The Glades Woodland Garden and include being serenaded by the Celtic-infused harp performances of Diemm, the ambient and distinct music of Treesong on “Fuhorns”, the dazzling sleight of hand of magician Travis Bernhardt and the foot-stomping, hand-clapping grand finale of Pat Chessell Trio’s Kitchen Party. Tickets are limited … purchase early to save disappointment
August 18 – 21 & 25 – 28
Darts Hill Garden Park
August’s performances are at Darts Hill Garden Park and include a haunting and beautiful a cappella journey through the rich and varied folk music of Eastern Europe and the Balkans with East Van trio, Vostok, an original street theatre storytelling act for the whole family from STORIES on WHEELS: MIDDLE EASTERN TALES, the ambient sounds of traditional Indonesian music from Gamelan Tekanan Suara, and it all wraps up with a thirty-minute grand finale by Cause & Effect Circus, three of Vancouver’s favourite jugglers who will dazzle with a silly spectacle of interactive contemporary circus. Tickets are limited … purchase early to save disappointment.
Tips for Attending:
- Tickets are available based on a “choose what you pay” system and range in price from $5 to $35 to ensure that the events are accessible to everyone. Know that regardless of what price you choose, everyone will have the same magical experience.
- You’ll be walking from performance to performance and there are no seats provided. Feel free to bring a chair with you, but note that it should be easy to set up and carry with you.
- Closed-toe shoes are recommended as you’ll be walking on garden paths, many of which are bark mulch and gravel.
- Bring a picnic, but make sure it’s easy to transport, and remember that alcohol is not permitted in Surrey’s parks.
- Arrive early (up to 3o minutes) and explore the gardens.